posted in news
On-Board Video Solutions for Passenger and Freight Rail.
Are you protected? And compliant?
Get prepared. Railhead has what you need for compliance with the new FRA regulations.
On October 12, 2023, The Federal Railroad Administration (FRA) published its final rule on “Locomotive Image and Audio Recording Devices for Passenger Trains”. This final rule requires each lead locomotive or cab car of a commuter or passenger train to be equipped with an image recording system.
Railhead Locomotive, Cab Car, and Passenger Car video helps railways conduct safer, more secure, and
efficient operation while reducing liability exposure saving railroads millions of dollars a year. Railhead’s
outward-facing cameras will capture every crossing, signal, gate, track trespasser and yard incident that
may occur. Cameras inside can be used to ensure trains are operated in full compliance with the appropriate
regulations and training.
- There are teams of lawyers that are paid to make you liable. To protect your employees and your
railroad against fraudulent claims, you can have Railhead HD video that is encrypted, and has been
successfully used as a defense in a court of law.
- Compliance dates have been set for image recording systems on both new cars and existing rolling
- Railhead video backs up your side of the story and proves your speed was correct, you were attentive/
aware, gates were down, signals were green ahead, and horn and bell were sounded. Your crews
are doing everything right 99% of the time. Now you can have the proof. Railhead video proves all
procedures were followed and every measure was taken to protect the crew, the railroad, and the
- Railhead’s exclusive forward-facing cameras offer exceptional views of your track and wayside.
- Interior cameras cover the entire cab area including personnel and controls. Each camera is equipped
with the ability to turn audio recording on or off and offers tamper detection.
- Crash-hardened memory with up to 1TB of storage will capture well over the 12-hour retention requirement
from the new regulation even if you expand your system with additional cameras in the future.
- Video images are captured with the required frame rate and resolution, digitally watermarked and
encrypted and have been successfully used in court cases for more than 15 years.
- As always, Railhead offers systems that are modular, expandable, and scalable so you can equip what
is necessary and expand or enhance when possible.
- Railhead’s locomotive image and audio recording solution for passenger and freight trains meets the
latest FRA regulations for frame rate, memory, crash-worthiness, tamper detection/prevention, testing
requirements and more.
- As the FRA points out, video images not only improve railroad safety, but the intelligence captured by
the system is additional operational information that can be used to improve any railroad’s bottom line.
- Railhead has equipped passenger rail trains with video solutions for more than 15 years.
Railhead offers the most customizable, user-friendly solutions for onboard video surveillance for freight and
passenger railroads. Find out why commuter and freight rail operators – such as Metrolink, Metra and New
Jersey Transit – have chosen Railhead for their video systems more than any other supplier.
Ask us how we can help your railroad comply with the requirements of the latest FRA regulations.
For more information, contact Tom Austin at 708-844-5525 or email@example.com today.
Tuesday October 31 2023